The recipe for almond bark is easy, enough to get your kids cooking. Enjoy home made candy or give it as a present.
- Spread almonds in a baking pan and toast in a 350° F for about 8 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Let cool.
- Line a rimmed 10x15 inch pan with wax paper, covering bottom and sides of pan.
- Place chocolate chips or candy coating in the top of a double boiler. Add shortening, stir over barely simmering water just until mixture begins to melt. remove from heat; stir until completely melted. Stir in toasted almonds.
- Turn mixture into pan and spread to distribute nuts evenly. Refrigerate candy just until firm.
- Break into pieces before serving.
To spread more smoothly, drop pan onto counter several times from a height of about 8 inches.
To store, cover airtight and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.