Mozzarella sticks like the ones served in so many restaurants. This is a recipe to delight both kids and grown ups.
- Place the flour into a zip lock bag.
- Sprinkle in the salt and pepper, seal and shake to combine.
- Break the egg into a small shallow bowl.
- Add the water and whisk until combined.
- Place the bread crumbs into a shallow bowl.
- Fill a deep fryer with the frying oil and preheat to 375° F.
- Place a few cheese sticks into the flour mixture and shake to lightly coat.
- Dip the coated cheese sticks into the egg mixture shaking off any excess egg.
- Roll each cheese stick through the bread crumbs to lightly coat on all sides.
- Drop the coated cheese stick into the hot oil.
- Fry 2 minutes, turning occasionally for even browning, or until the cheese begins to melt and the outside is a crispy golden brown.
- Drain the cheese sticks on paper towel before serving.
Be sure that your oil remains at 375° F. Remove the batch of cheese and recheck the oil to be sure that it is at the right temperature before adding more. If the oil is not hot enough it will take too long to cook causing the cheese to shrink and ooze before the coating is a crispy brown.
If sticks are difficult to handle, try to cut the mozzarella into cubes Ã¢â‚¬â€œ it tastes as good.
Cooking time: approximately 2 minutes per batchDraining time: approximately 5 minutes per batch