Take advantage of the summer bounty in fruits and veggies and coll off with the healthy and delicious summer goodness.
When it’s hot, cool off with these summertime goodies.
Summertime yields some of the best fruits and veggies of the year. Some of our favorites are plums, peaches, nectarines, grapes, summer squash, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, carrots, corn and so on. How lovely is to grab a handful of grapes or strawberries as a snack on a hot summer’s day, or chop up some crisp, raw vegetables to enjoy with a creamy dip. There are hundreds of cool, summer recipes using your favorite fruits and veggies and so we thought we’d share some here.
Easy to make but oh so yummy to eat. Your guests will be wowed with this delicious, summery dessert and your family will love it too. So cool, fruity and delicious; a perfect treat all summer long.
What you need for a berry fool
- 4 cups strawberries or 3 cups blackberries, blueberries or raspberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Gently rinse berries. Hull strawberries if using. Set aside a few berries for garnish, if you like.
- In a medium bowl gently toss berries with sugar and lemon juice. Let sit for 20 min.
- Put berry mixture in a blender or food processor and whirl until smooth or simply use a large fork to mash them a bit. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold berry mixture into cream until evenly distributed. Spoon into serving dishes, top with reserved berries for garnish, if you like, and serve immediately or keep chilled up to 1 hour.
Jell-o ice cream
Here’s a summertime treat perfect for kids.
What you need for a Jell-o ice cream
- one 3-ounce package of your favorite flavor Jell-O
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups of your favorite flavor of ice cream or sherbet
How to prepare a jell-o ice cream
Completely dissolve Jell-O in boiling water. Stir for 2 minutes. Add ice cream or sherbet by the spoonful, stirring until melted. Pour into individual dessert glasses or serving bowl. Chill until set, about 30 minutes. Garnish as desired with colorful berries.
Another flavor combination that makes a scrumptious summer treat sure to please any child or hubby is Vanilla Ice Cream and Orange flavored gelatin. This would be like an Orange Julius or Dreamsicle.
Come up with your own flavor combinations - let your taste buds be your guide.
Berry fruity shake
A berry fruit shake is a summertime treat everyone will love to cool off with and is oh so easy to make.
What you need for a berry fruity shake
- 4 1/2 cups ice cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 cups of your favorite berries, like blue, black and raspberry
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to prepare a berry fruity shake
Fill the blender 3/4 full of ice cubes. Pour in the milk, sugar, berries and vanilla. Blend until smooth.